Graphic Design Exercises
Illustrator: Type Studies
To experiment with typography visually. To select appropriate fonts based on content. To learn Illustrator production techniques by example.
Using the list below, select three movie titles of your choice and create a typographic wordmark for each title in black and white.
2001: A Space Odyssey
- launch Illustrator; copy and paste the above list onto the paste board area of a blank page
- choose one title to experiment with; copy and paste the title onto the printable area
- duplicate the title 3 times, change case (all caps, all lowercase)
- duplicate 5 times, choose 5 different "classic" fonts (consider italics, bolds)
- choose your favorite configuration, duplicate
- convert to outline, ungroup
- rearrange the words/letters onto different lines
- consider changing sizes, kerning, leading, cropping/cutting, etc.
- fill the page with your studies
- choose your favorite study, copy and paste onto a new blank page, make larger
- print a b&w proof for critique
- revise the design based on feedback
- repeat with 2 more titles
- submit b&w laser proofs with your name and the exercise number on it for critique
- file your graded proof in your Process Book for individual review
- file > save for web (preset=GIF 32 no dither, image size=800px wide, clip to artboard=yes)
- publish JPEG as a link from your Process Page