Graphic Design Exercises
InDesign: Lists & Dropcaps
To learn InDesign layout and production techniques by recreating
Drop caps and lists can be made easily in InDesign with just a click. But customizing these functions will require the use of character styles. In this exercise, we'll learn some tricks on how to make production of repetitive tasks more efficient.
A note on colored type: text type should only print in black or a solid ink color. If there are any tints (less than 100% of an ink color), the halftone dots will affect readability should there be any registration problems. In this exercise, we are making an exception by using two solid inks for the text type.
prepping for the exercise
- download starter files
- open "list.indd" in InDesign
- practice Adobe navigation keyboard shortcuts: space+cmd=zoom in; space+cmd+opt=zoom out; cmd+zero=fit in window
- practice InDesign preview shortcuts: opt+space=hand; cmd+opt+I (show/hide hidden characters); W (normal/preview mode)
making paragraph styles
- window > paragraph styles: edit basic paragraph: 12/16 ITC Century Book, hyphenation=no, justification=adobe single line composer, character color=green (note formula)
- style head: 36/32, fill=purple, make new paragraph style "h1"
- style intro: 14/18 italic, make new paragraph style "intro"
- style subheads: bold, fill=red, make new paragraph style "h2"
- apply style to other subheads
making character styles
- select initial cap character ("T"): remove italic, make new character style "book"
- insert sample ballot box character: window > glyphs: font= ITC Zapf Dingbats, choose solid square
- select bullet character: fill=none, stroke=.5 (green); make new character style "ballot box"
making a drop cop
- window > paragraph styles: edit "intro": drop cap: lines=2, character=1, character style=book
- adjust kerning
- select a range of list items
- window > paragraph: bullets & numbering (flyout menu), preview=on
- list type: bullet, add square Zapf dingbat, character style=ballot box, left indent=1p3, first line indent=–1p3
- make new paragraph style "ballot list"
- apply style to other list items
- clean up text (add forced line breaks)
- submit PDF in Angel for grading
- print and file graded proof in your 3-ring binder for individual review