To review design principles as it relates to publication design.
To learn InDesign production techniques by recreating a two-page
Catalogs by definition contain a lot of information. Creating a
consistent grid and typography system will help unify the publication.
Adding variety with contrasting sizes of photos/illustrations will
help bring variety to the layout. Using rules may help organize
preparing for the exercise
- download starter files
- examine downloaded files
- examine PDF reference file
- launch InDesign
- file > new (letter, portrait, margins=0, facing pages=yes,
- type > show hidden characters (cmd+opt+I)
- insert 2 new pages (total of 3)
- window > pages
- go to page 2: numbering & section options: start at 34
- delete page 1
- copy text from PDF file into InDesign (set to side)
- add new colors: PMS 363, 5255
creating style sheets
- new character style "bold": style=Condensed Bold 77
- new character style "bullet": Zapf Dingbats (use dingbat
- new paragraph style "body": ITC Bookman 8.5/10, space
after=0p4, color=PMS 5255, hyph=off
- new paragraph style "text" (based on "body"): Helvetica Neue 47 Light Condensed
- new paragraph style "text + rule" (based on "text"):
rule above=.75pt, offset=0p8, color=PMS 363; tabs: add left tabs as needed; drop caps & nested styles: add new nested style: "bold" through 1 tab character
- new paragraph style "title" (based on "text"): Helvetica Neue 95 Black 12/13,
color=PMS 363; drop caps & nested styles: add new nested style: "bullet" through 1 character
- new paragraph style "side" (based on "title"):
- new paragraph style "top" (based on "text"): 7/10
all caps, centered, tracking=300, color=PMS 363, rule below=.75pt, offset=0p4
create the grid and layout
- go to master page (cmd+J: A)
- rename "layer 1" "grid"
- indesign > preferences: units: origin=page
- draw horiz guides: 1p6, 4p6, 64p
- draw vert guides: 5p, 8p6, 48p; 3p, 42p6, 46p
- new layer "side"
- draw side boxes (fill=green)
- add type for sides and top, apply style
- insert automatic page numbering (type > insert special characters)
- new layer "text"
- draw text frame (2 columns with 2p gutter)
- view > extras > show text threads
- link main text frames
- return to page 34 (cmd+J: 34)
- new layer "pix", place pictures, make blue
- flow in text, apply styles
- make inline "embedded" text frames for "new"
and "free" (object > anchored objects options: y offset = ??)
- use tables to divide columns (when needed)
- add your name to bottom of file as a "slug"
- window > output > separations
- check colors (CMYK vs Pantone), delete unused colors
- file > package
- print a color proof on 12x18 paper (spreads, bleeds, crops, slug)
- file graded proof in your Process Book for individual review