Photoshop's advanced layering and masking techniques by recreating
the following image.
The seamless blending of images is a popular collage technique.
In this example, adding the clouds to the inside of the type and
the screen area of the phone helps unify the entire image.
preparing the images
- download starter files
- launch Photoshop; open downloaded files
- magnetic lasso tool: silhouette hand (single-click
a starting point; DELETE removes anchors; single-click adds
an anchor; double-clicking will close the selection)
- quick mask mode: clean up selection
- move tool: drag selection from "hand.jpg" to "sky.jpg"
- save as "sky.psd"; close "hand.jpg" (don't save)
merging the images
- rename "background" "clouds"; rename "layer 1" "hand"
- make "hand" layer opacity 50% (this is temporary)
- edit > free transform (cmd+T): make hand smaller, reposition
- layer > add layer mask > reveal all (or click on icon
in layers palette)
- paint brush tool (soft edge): paint black to reveal clouds,
white to hide clouds (try changing opacity and size of brush)
- return layer opacity to 100%
- add new layer "shadow" above "hand"
- copy layer mask from "hand" to "shadow: load
mask from "hand" layer as a selection (cmd+click on mask thumbnail),
go to "shadow" layer, add layer mask
- paint brush tool (soft edge): paint black to add a subtle
shadow; adjust layer opacity
- magnetic lasso tool: outline screen
- duplicate "clouds" layer, move to top; add layer mask
- unlink picture and mask, scale/move clouds into screen area, relink
- layer mode=overlay; adjust layer opacity
- add layer style "inner shadow"; adjust
- type tool (Impact): type "AIR TIME"
- edit > free transform (cmd+T): rotate 90 degrees (hold down
- adjust size and position
- add layer style "drop shadow"; adjust
- rectangle marqueee tool: select "clouds" behind
- layer > new > layer based on copy (cmd+J); move layer to
- make clipping mask with type layer (opt-click
- make clouds inside type larger (cmd+T)
- new adjustment layer (levels): make
- clip adjustment layer with previous
layer (opt-click between layers)
- print a proof for grading (with your name and exercise number)
- file your graded proof in your 3-ring binder for individual review