To learn Illustrator's live trace function. To practice
Illustrator's pen tool editing functions by recreating the above
creating the art in Illustrator
- download above GIF file (RMB: save images as...)
Illustrator keyboard shortcuts
- file > new: letter, portrait
- practice Adobe navigation keyboard shortcuts: space=hand;
space+cmd=zoom in; space+cmd+opt=zoom out; cmd+zero=fit in
- file > place: "aloe.gif"
- select placed image, zoom in to see detail
- object > live trace > tracing options: preset=lettering, refine (preview=yes)
- object > expand
- view > outline (cmd+Y); make sure counters are transparent
- refine the art as needed
- create your own hand-generated type and scan it in for tracing
helpful hints for refining art
- choose the direct select tool before selecting the pen tool
- when using the pen tool, access
the direct select tool with the cmd key
- add anchor point: glide mouse over path, click "+"
- delete anchor point: glide mouse over anchor
point, click "-"
- smooth anchor point: opt+click and drag
- corner anchor point: opt+click
- adjust curves: move handles with cmd key
- smooth curves have handles about 1/3 the of length a line
- add your name and the exercise number to the file
- clean-up your printable area and add credit.
In 9pt Helvetica, 1/2" from bottom and right side of the page add:
Exercise #: Exercise Name
- print a proof for grading
- file your graded proof in your Process Book for individual review