To learn InDesign layout and production techniques by recreating
a DVD package design.
prepping for the exercise
- download starter files
- download DVD case templates from Oasis: Amaray wrap around insert, on-disc imprint (print to center)
- inspect downloaded files
- using Font Agent Pro, turn on Kaufmann and Birch
- open "DVDB101_out.indd" in InDesign; save as "cover.indd"
- practice Adobe navigation keyboard shortcuts: space=hand; space+cmd=zoom
in; space+cmd+opt=zoom out; cmd+zero=fit in window
- practice InDesign preview shortcuts: cmd+opt+I (show/hide hidden
characters); W (normal/preview mode)
laying out the cover (process colors)
- file > place all pictures (cmd+D); scale and crop
- window swatches: change Pantone colors to process, add new swatches as needed
- draw boxes, modify with direct select tool, apply process colors
- new layer "type"
- file > place "souleyes.ai" and text (cmd+D)
- spec font 8/10 ITC Franklin Gothic Book Condensed, centered
- replace ^p^p with ^p (cmd+F)
- cut and paste text into logical frames; make rough layout
- cover/back heads: 12pt Birch, tracking=25, horiz scale=200%
- make "LATIN JAZZ" 19pt, baseline shift=-2pt
laying out the DVD imprint (spot colors)
- open "UD100.indd" in InDesign; save as "disc.indd"
- copy appropriate elements from "cover.indd" into document
- new layer "boxes": draw boxes, modify, apply spot colors
- adjust type and layout as needed
making a "comp" of the DVD imprint
- save as "disc-comp.indd"
- new layer "mask"; draw white box
- duplicate "templates guides" layer, restack to top
- edit "template guides" layer: non-printing = no (double-click)
- delete objects with dashed lines
- select outer circle + white box
- window > object & layout > pathfinder: subtract
- select inner circle: fill=white, stroke=none
- window > output > attributes: nonprinting=no
making an inkjet proof of the DVD imprint
- save as "disc-inkjet.indd"
- file > document setup: width/height=4.7in
- hide all non-printing layers
- file > export as JPEG: quality=maximum, resolution=150PPI, CMYK (this file can be printed directly onto a CD using Parkland's special inkjet printer)
- submit JPEG to instructor using this naming format: "jsmith.jpg"
- window > output > separations preview: view=separations
- file > package
- file > adobe PDF presets > press quality
- optional: print as separations to a b&w printer
- adjust all layouts until they match the reference file
- add your name and exercise number to the bottom of all files
- print a proof for grading
- file graded proof in your Process Book for individual review