To gain a historical perspective about graphic design. To conduct first-hand research by meeting and talking with professionals in the field.
Friday April 20 at 12:30pm
Surface 51 (free parking available just north of the building)
Surface 51 is one of the smaller boutique agencies/design studios that have recently popped up in Champaign-Urbana. Owned by Al Fleener (a Parkland alumni) and staffed with graphic designers (two of them are also Parkland alumni), Surface 51 has a distinct contemporary style that's bold and elegant at the same time. On this field trip, we'll be able to talk with the designers, view samples of their work and discover their formula for success.
- Visit each host's website before the field trip (linked above when available). It always helps to know a little about each location before your visit.
- Write down a few questions you may wish to ask during your field trip.
- Please arrange your own car pooling. If you are driving, familiarize yourself with the area by inspecting the map link above. It is recommended that you arrive early. Anticipate traffic and parking problems. If you are late, you may not be allowed to join the tour.
- When you are in our host’s space, please show respect by not talking amongst yourselves or making unnecessary noise. There will always be a question-and-answer period during the tour. If at all possible, save your questions until then.
- Note taking is highly recommended. Material covered during field trips could be on the quiz scheduled later this semester.