To be inspired by award-winning graphic design. To survey current trends in typography and publication design. To become familiar with graphic design publications. To utilize library resources for research and inspiration. To use blogs as a reflection tool.
- See instructions for starting a blog
- See instructions on how to scan in D019
- See instructions on scanning and resolution
- See instructions for scanning printed pieces
Using the curated resources in the Parkland Library as a starting point, research and collect examples of creative page layouts and typography. For each entry, write one paragraph describing your selection:
- Describe its function (informational, branding, promotional, etc.)
- Discuss the page layout (unity, emphasis, balance, hierarchy, structure, white space, etc.)
- Discuss the quality of the typography (spacing, proportion, kerning, color, etc.)
- Describe the type classification (serif, sans serif, old style, modern, etc.) and style (bold, italic, condensed, etc.)
- Try to identify the typeface by name
- Discuss what specifically attracted you to the piece (download the vocabulary wheel)
- Cite the source of your scan (or describe where you found the piece).
Extra credit: Keep your eyes open for potential layout references wherever you go. Collect printed pieces that contain a lot of type (magazines, brochures, catalogs, newsletters, menus, etc.). Take pictures or scan your pieces and post them to your blog. Internet resources do not qualify for extra credit.
- Start a new blog specifically for this assignment. Title your blog appropriately for the assigned topic. Choose a clean template that will show off your content. Post only blog entries that relate to the topic for this semester.
- Visit Parkland Library's reserve section, periodicals and/or stacks every week (see resources). Seek out a diverse range of samples from a variety of sources. Scan and post at least one quality example of page layout or publication design every week (sorry, Internet sources are not allowed).
- Present your blog for team critique and feedback every week by posting your blog's web address as part of each week's Cobra Learning homework assignment (starting with Homework #2). Revise your blog as needed for grading at midterm and at the end of the semester.
- Review the post(s) of the team members in your assigned group. Post a response when you reply to their homework assignment. Encourage each other to seek out high quality designs for each post.
Important: This is a graded assignment. Spelling, grammar, clarity of thought and adherence to assignment specifications will count towards your grade.
Your weekly blog posts are due every Thursday at 11:30pm (starting with Homework #2). Your blog will be graded twice this semester: once at midterm and once at final review.