GDS 220 Graphic Design for the Web
Blog: Award-Winning Websites
Instructor: Paul Young
To be inspired by award-winning interactive design and cutting edge technology. To survey current trends in UX, UI, typography and web design. To use blogs as a reflection tool.
Research and collect screenshots and links to high quality award-winning websites. Write a brief review about each website based on the Analyzing Websites Lecture. During the semester, be sure to collect a broad range of creative design solutions from these resources:
- curated graphic design resources on the internet
- curated graphic design resources in the Parkland Library
Note: Internet links must come from one of the above curated resources (yes, great Internet links can be found in books and periodicals). You will not receive credit for your post if you can not cite an original source from one the above "approved" resources.
Extra credit: Email me recommendations to add to the above resources. Quality finds will earn extra points (the higher the quality, the more points).
- Start a new blog specifically for this assignment. Title your blog appropriately for the assigned topic. Choose a clean template that will show off your content. Post only blog entries that relate to the topic for this semester.
- Visit the above curated resources every week. Scan or download sample screenshots of at least one creative website every week and post them to your blog. In your blog entry, feel free to comment on design, content, UX, UI, innovation, responsiveness, technology, etc. (see the Analyzing Websites lecture). Be sure to cite the original curated source of your website.
- Present your blog for team critique and feedback every week by posting your blog's web address as part of each week's Cobra Learning homework assignment (starting with Homework #2). Revise your blog as needed for grading at midterm and at the end of the semester.
- Read the posts of the team members in your assigned group every week. Encourage each other to seek out high quality designs when you reply to their Cobra post.
Important: This is a graded assignment. Spelling, grammar, clarity of thought and adherence to assignment specifications will count towards your grade.
Your weekly blog posts are due every Thursday at 11:30pm as part of your weekly Cobra discussion post (starting with Homework #2). Your blog will be graded twice this semester: once at midterm and once at final review.