To be inspired by award-winning animation and motion design. To become familiar with design firms and ad agencies that create motion graphics. To utilize library resources for research and inspiration. To use blogs as a reflection tool.
Research award-winning design firms and ad agencies that create motion design from both rpint and Internet sources. Collect screenshots and links to post to your blog.
Consider the following periodicals as a starting point (graphic design students are allowed to check out periodicals overnight*):
- Communication Arts
- Computer Arts
- Lürzer's Archive
- PDN (Photo District News)
Also pay particular attention to these annuals (current volume is on reserve):
- Art Director's Annual
- Graphis Design Annual
- Society of Illustrators Annual
- Typography: The Annual of the Type Directors' Club
Extra credit: Find a cool motion design resource that should be added to delicious.com? Email me the link for consideration.
*Note: The library does not allow periodicals to be checked out by students. However, under special arrangement with the Library director, graphic design students may check out periodicals overnight. This is a privilege that should not be abused. Please return materials promptly. If you have any problems checking out periodicals, please ask to see a librarian (student workers are sometimes not informed).
- Visit Parkland library's reserve section, periodicals and/or stacks every week. Find the names of award-winning design firms or ad agencies who do motion graphics, title sequences and/or animation.
- Browse their website on the Internet and look for quality examples of motion graphics and/or animation. Make screenshots of key frames to post on your blog.
- In your blog entry, write a brief review of the example and provide a web link (feel free to comment on concept, design, art, music/sound, rhythm, innovation, creativity). You must also cite the source where you found the initial link.
- Present your blog for team critique and feedback every week by posting your blog's web address as part of each week's Cobra homework assignment (starting with Homework #2). Revise your blog as needed for grading at midterm and at the end of the semester.
- Read the posts of the team members in your assigned group. Post a response to their post on their blog and encourage each other to seek out high quality designs (blog comments are optional and are not graded).
Important: This is a graded assignment. Spelling, grammar, clarity of thought and adherence to assignment specifications will count towards your grade.
Your weekly blog posts are due every Wednesday at 11:30pm (starting with Homework #2). Your blog will be graded twice this semester: once at midterm and once at final review.