GDS 271 Interactive Design
Instructor: Paul Young
To be inspired by award-winning web design. To become familiar with design firms and ad agencies that design websites. To survey current trends in photography, illustration, advertising and design. To use blogs as a reflection tool.
Parkland's library has enormous resources for graphic design and interactive design students (see detailed list). Find award-winning websites by consulting Parkland's print sources as a starting point. Collect screenshots and links to post to your blog. Links without a citation to a print source will not be accepted for credit.
Extra credit: If you stumble upon excellent websites while browsing, feel free to include these as extra credit. However if you only use Internet resources for your research, you may receive a zero for this assignment.
- Visit Parkland Library's reserve section, periodicals and/or stacks every week. Find the names of award-winning designers, photographers, illustrators, design firms or ad agencies who might have a portfolio website.
- Browse their website on the Internet and look for links to websites they have designed or a link to the design firm who designed their site. Make screenshots of key pages to post on your blog.
- In your blog entry, write a brief review of the website and provide a web link. Feel free to comment on design, content, navigation, innovation, creativity (tip: consider using the same criteria from the Analyzing Websites lecture). You must also cite the print source where you found the initial link.
- Present your blog for team critique and feedback every week by posting your blog's web address as part of each week's Cobra Learning homework assignment (starting with Homework #2). Revise your blog as needed for grading at midterm and at the end of the semester.
- Read the post(s) of the team members in your assigned group. Post a comment on their blog and encourage each other to seek out high quality designs (blog comments are optional and are not graded).
Important: This is a graded assignment. Spelling, grammar, clarity of thought and adherence to assignment specifications will count towards your grade.
Your weekly blog posts are due every Tuesday at 11:30pm as part of your weekly Cobra discussion post. Your blog will be graded twice this semester: once at midterm and once at final review.