To be inspired by award-winning graphic design. To become familiar with portfolio websites and self-promotion strategies. To utilize library resources for research and inspiration. To use blogs as a reflection tool.
Using the curated resources in the Parkland Library as a starting point, research award-winning designers, photographers, illustrators, design firms, ad agencies and collect examples of their portfolio websites. Record the original print source where you found the resource (required).
Extra credit: Once you have met the minimum requirement of blogging about one non-Internet source per week, feel free to share Internet resources that you have found for extra credit.
- Start a new blog specifically for this assignment. Title your blog appropriately for the assigned topic. Choose a clean template that will show off your content. Post only blog entries that relate to the topic for this semester.
- Visit Parkland Library's reserve section, periodicals and/or stacks every week (see resources). Find the names of award-winning designers, photographers, illustrators, design firms or ad agencies who might have a quality portfolio website.
- Browse their website on the Internet and make screenshots of key pages to post on your blog.
- In your blog entry, write a brief review of the website and provide a web link (feel free to comment on design, content, navigation, innovation, creativity). You must also cite the print source where you found the initial link.
- Present your blog for team critique and feedback every week by posting your blog's web address as part of each week's Cobra homework assignment (starting with Homework #2). Revise your blog as needed for grading at midterm and at the end of the semester.
- Review the post(s) of the team members in your assigned group. Post a response when you reply to their homework assignment in Cobra. Encourage each other to seek out high quality designs for each post.
Important: This is a graded assignment. Spelling, grammar, clarity of thought and adherence to assignment specifications will count towards your grade.
Your weekly blog posts are due every Thursday at 11:30pm (starting with Homework #2). Your blog will be graded twice this semester: once at midterm and once at final review.